20051030

Finally at my PRT

So, what is my assignment like? The food is good and the soldiers here have been welcoming. That is good considering I just showed up a couple of days after they found out I (I told them) that I was assigned to them. I have my first meeting with the commander tomorrow (she just got back from leave). I will need to explain what my mission is and how I can be useful.

I have now been at my assigned PRT (Provincial Reconstruction Team) for 4 days. I was able to get a computer account and get caught up on reading all about the province I am in. I hurt my back doing step aerobics at Bagram Airfield the day before I left. Today was the first time I did PT (Physical Training) since Wednesday morning.

Today I was trained on how the force protection unit conducts convoy operations (important to know when you cross the wire). Tomorrow I will qualify with my rifle to demonstrate my proficiency. Most soldiers would grouse about how they just qualified less than a month ago, why qualify again. Personally, I love to shoot so going to the range is a treat for me. Once I qualify, I get to cross the wire and go on missions.

So why would a staff officer go on missions? Due to the work I do and the people I work with, at this level I need to go on missions. On my last deployment I pretty much stayed at the headquarters and all the subordinate units went on missions. This time, I am part of a subordinate unit.

The facilities here are top notch. The PRT I am at was constructed as a model for other PRT’s. In my quarters I have a heating/cooling unit, a bed with a mattress (no cot), and a CAT5 drop (network cable). The quarters building has a day room with a TV and DVD player. The DFAC (Dining Facility or mess hall for you old timers) has a commercial grade kitchen. The latrine building has washers and dryers, flushing toilets, and tiled shower stalls. The gym has free weights, dumbbells, a couple of stairmasters, a couple of stationary bikes, and a couple of elliptical machines.

Don’t have much else to say. Once I start going on missions I will be able to tell you more about what it is truly like here in Afghanistan.

CIAO’
CPT NightHawk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home